Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hiking to Mt. Batur

One of my goal in year 2011 was hiking and climbing and be in the top of the mountain.  I’ve been hiking once when I was in the 10th grade – like 11 years ago – yes it was a long time ago. I was so fat back then thus I had some problem to climb up; not like now I have beautiful abs [lol, I wish]. Being in the nature, blend and be the part of it is an interesting thing to do. You will appreciate your environment and this earth more hopefully not like the Mayan prophecy that the world will ends in 2012.

This plan started when I found out that my co-workers love doing adventure. The idea just popped up in my mind and ask them to climb one of the ‘active’ mountains in Bali. Surprisingly, they were really excited about this plan; the news spread very quickly and even some colleagues from other departments proposed to join this trip. Not only that, my bosses also wanted to join with us. Amazing!
We had the plan, we had the itinerary, and we had the member… Now a big question mark appears in my forehead??? How do we arrange for the working schedule??? – considering half of the member are from the same department – if we arrange the schedule as it is, nobody will come to work “which is impossible” >> but we sorted it out; by sacrificing two of our friends couldn’t join L
Well on the d-day we were gather in our work place; did some preparation before going to the slope. It was 01:00am when we left from Seminyak heading to Mount Batur – the name of the mountain – and it took almost 2 hours to get there. It was 10 of us and we drove 2 cars. We arrived at the slope of the mountain around 03:00am and we started stretching and did the warming up. 2 local guides were accompanying us on this trip – which is we didn’t really need them since some of my colleague already know the track. By 03:15am we started to walk, the first 1 hour was fine and fun. We chat, sing and walked together. Then the track was getting more slippery, harder, and stiffer. That was the challenge but I like that. It was so cool and lot of fun J
beautiful sunrise from the top of Mt. Batur
After a long walk, finally we reached the top of the mountain by 05:00am. Took almost 2 hours to get there; I can’t barely breathing. Hahaha, I need more work out and I knew it! But whatever, we were on the top now and other thing didn’t really matter at this point. It was still dark at that time and we waited for 30 minutes until the sunrise came up! And when it getting clearer, that was the best feeling ever; I feel like I was on the top of the world with the cloud just right under me. The hard work was paid by the beautiful view and the fresh morning breeze. We were there for a while enjoying a glass of hot coffee and a cigarette. All the stress, traffic, daily routines were suddenly forgotten. At this point we were just wanted to enjoy the moment to the most.
By 07:00am the sun was getting hotter burn our skin and we decided to climb down. It was a lot easier to climb down but what you need was a strong knee and leg. We were racing to get back to the slope and indeed took only 1,5 hours to get back. We were all tired but all happy. We drove back to Seminyak and stopped for breakfast before. And now we are planning to climb the next mountain but still confuse which one we should go first…. Whether Besakih, Batukaru or Abang…. Well, let’s just vote then!!!


1 comment: